Patient Guideline & Questionnaire
January 1, 2021
*This guideline is to be used prior to entering our clinic for scheduled appointments with the optometrist or dispensary.
Our company is concerned for your safety and the safety of our staff and their families. In the interest of ensuring a safe and healthy work environment, each patient will be asked a series of questions to determine if they have or have been exposed to COVID-19. This protocol is in place to try and prevent sick or symptomatic patients and customers from entering our clinic and increasing the likelihood of spreading the infection.
Prior to a patient’s appointment, we will call them and go over the following:
Do any of the following common COVID-19 symptoms below apply to you?
- Temperature > 100 degrees F*
- Frequent unexplained cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Diarrhea, nausea and/or vomiting
- Extreme fatigue or tiredness
- Headache or body aches
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell or appetite
- Red eyes or eye infection
- Recent travel outside of the Cariboo
- Been exposed to a person suffering from COVID-19 symptoms as noted above
If the answer is YES, the patient may have symptoms of COVID-19 and we will ask that they reschedule their visit by phone call.
*Temperature will be measured upon patient arrival to our clinic.
Confirming patient information over the phone prior to entry into the clinic:
- For patients scheduled for an eye examination, please do the following by phone to help minimize the time the patient spends in our clinic:
- Confirm all demographic and health insurance information
- Take case history including chief complaint, medical and ocular history, medications and allergies
When patient arrives at the door: (or ask them to call from parking lot)
- Require patient to wear a medical grade mask. If they do not have one, we will provide them one.
- If patient refuses to wear a mask they will be denied service
- Staff member wearing a mask and eye protection takes forehead temperature
- Repeat the above COVID-19 symptom questions
- Ask that no one accompanies the patient unless it is a parent or translator or care giver
- Ask patient to hand sanitize upon entry into the clinic
Inside the clinic:
- All chairs will be 6 feet or greater apart
- Only use 1 pen and clipboard at a time. Clean both items between each patient.
- Remove all magazines and newspapers from waiting area.
- Full cleaning of anything the patient comes into contact with (waiting room chairs, door handles, pretest and exam rooms, frames, debit machine and counter tops)
- Consider scheduling dispenses to limit traffic
- Have a designated tray for any frame that has been touched for further cleaning
- Credit card or debit accepted, try to avoid cheque or cash
- Offer to email receipts to limit/minimize paper exchange
- Continue curbside dispense and CL pick up where possible
- Utilize free shipping of CL’s by distributors
Dr. Kate, Dr. Garman & the caring staff of Williams Lake Optometry